I was looking for a free utility to merge PDF files, and came across PDFsam. So far it works great, and is Open Source. The only requirement is that you need to install the Java runtime. There is an Enhanced version which you can donate to get access to, but the features of the free Basic version met my needs:
- split your PDF documents (into chapters, single pages, etc.).
- merge many PDF documents or subsections of them.
- extract sections of your document into a single PDF document.
- mix alternate pages taken from two PDF documents in straight or reverse order into a single document.
- rotate pages of the selected PDF documents.
- visually reorder pages of a selected PDF document.
- visually compose a document dragging pages from selected PDF documents.
- save and load your environment to automatize your recurrent jobs.
- manage pdfsam settings and set an environment to load at start up.