Once the Nebraska winter kicks in, and my other projects are completed, I like to get out my small lathe and turn a few things. This time, I had some little things in mind, but much of what I wanted to do was gain some experience and practice. The little bowls at the top are the result of me not wanting to throw anything of significance away.
I previously turned two maple bowls with walnut glued to the top. Before mounting the pieces, I trimmed off the corners so that it would fit my lathe bed, and not require me to cut down those spinning corners with a gouge. I glued those 8 corner pieces into 4 blocks of wood that I could mount and turn.
I have a cheapish set of tools that I sharpened, and started turning. Turning the insides of these small bowls with a diameter of 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inches proved to be about the limit of my skills. This little bowl is 2 3/16 in height and the inside depth is 1 13/16 inches.
Next was this small block of rough Walnut that was too small and ordinary for any good purpose, but it made for a good exercise in turning. The quarter gives a bit of perspective on the size of the bowl. The outside Diameter is 3 1/2 inches and 1 7/8 inches tall. Like many woods, it had a lot of beauty to it once it was turned.
Each of these bowls has been finished with a couple coats of clear paste BRIWAX.
Lastly, I hope to do a little bit more work with hand carving tools. I have a big solid mallet that I use for cutting mortises by hand and some other jobs, but I wanted something more subtle for smaller, more delicate work.
I decided to use some Purpleheart given to me for making a mallet. I have yet to use it, but it sure did turn nicely. I wanted it to fit my large, wide hand, and give me the option of holding it by the handle or by the head.
Years ago I made another Purpleheart mallet with a rectangular head, and it has held up well after doing quite a bit of pounding. I will be very happy if this one does as well. The mallet stands 7 1/4 inches tall and the diameter of the head is 1 7/8 inches. The wood was left unfinished.